Thursday, February 4, 2010

Exercise - To Do or Not To Do?

Since I am a forty something and have given birth to children I no longer possess the long, lean look of my youth. There are flabby bits attached to my once slick figure. At my last physical, they weighed me and I was a tad dismayed at the number. Must have been those 20lb jeans I was wearing. Anyway, I don't have a scale so I was a wee bit surprised to find that my weight is creeping slowly upwards to a number that I would mumble if anyone asked me the "How much do you weigh?"question. Thankfully, good manners prevent people from asking that question ........ otherwise I may be forced to lie. And that is not good because pastors are not supposed to lie.

So I ask my doctor, "What is the best way to lose those few extra pounds?" I am expecting her to give me some profound answer when she looked me straight in the eye and said "Quit eating so much." It went something like this , "....now that you are in you forties your metabolsim and change of hormones means you don't need to eat quite so much, yaadddaa yaada .......". Oh really now - not quite I wanted to hear. "Oh and a regular exercise routine would be helpful." I was kinda hoping for a magic pill. Take 1 in the morning for a month and poof you are a babe! Oh my, it means a lifestyle change for me.

Unfortunately, I like food and I am not prepared to eat just rabbit food (cheetos rule!!!) so I have reasoned that indeed I am going to have to put into play a very rigorous exercise program. I have gone to the gym many times before but I always lose interest or get too busy and I once almost became a tennis pro a few years ago until one of those nasty green balls hit me in the jaw and put me off tennis. Hey, I wonder if Ian paid that lady to hit me on purpose so I would quit yapping at him.

Anyway, my daughter (who quite amazingly still has not ticked me off so I am still protecting her identity) and I have been talking. We have decided to join the local Y and workout together. We will invent up some sort of competition because both of will be extremely motivated to beat the other person. Lise rocks!!! Daughter doesn't!!! The winner has to take the loser out for dinner. I realize that age is on her side. But my legs are longer so I should be able to clock the miles quicker. I do have a back up plan though - I'll plant ourselves near some cute young men who will distract her. When she is distracted, I'll be able to adjust her machine back to zero (hehehe). I'm not sure pastors are allowed to cheat either. Perhaps my career will be shortlived at the rate I am going. Too many sins and your outta there ......

First though, we both discussed this and agree, we need to go shopping so we can buy ourself some cool workout duds. I guess my 1980's shorts would be a little embarassing and far be it for me to embarass my offspring ....... maybe I'll just wear the headband and hum Olivia Newton Johns "Physical ...... " So tomorrow is the big day. Look out Y, the Mitchell ladies are about to become fit machines of muscly legs and flat abs.

Over and out. 6th post complete.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.videosift.com/video/Nasty-Girls-Three-chicks-who-can-probably-kick-your-ass

    ReplyDelete